Friday, May 27, 2011

Learning from Before


Of course most artists copy the works of others as part of their "learning process"...at least that's the story. Really, it's about love! You love it, you paint it, and then you know it. Painting is an intimate act of knowing. Thinking along these lines reminds me of the quote....

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” Baba Dioum 1937.  


Well, I think we sometimes learn to understand that which we love, whether taught by others or by experience or by reflection. Knowing, loving, and understanding all go together. This painting is "after" Kandinsky's Marienplatz...and it was in the painting of my version that I came to care for it and to "get" it. I've heard various people claim to not even see art, as though it were so much background; it's invisible to them. I didn't "get" Picasso until I forced myself (quite literally) to slow down and look and look and look again at books full of reproductions. Suddenly, one day, my brain flipped a switch. I got it. Vision happens in the occipital cortex, not in the eyes. It's a great place to be...hope you enjoy. Aloha...

No comments:

Post a Comment